Opening SP Utilities Account

Step by Step Guide

Before moving into a new home in Singapore, we first have to open a SP Utilities Account for our new place. This needs to be done for your home to get access to water, electricity and gas.

Since each account is tied to an individual name and a specific address, this means you need to open a new account for each home that you intend to occupy in, even if you already have an existing SP utility account. Your utilities account is not transferrable. So you can’t just transfer it from your previous home to your new place.

For example, if you are moving out of your existing home and into a new home, you will need to terminate your existing utilities account at your current place, and then open a new utilities account at your new home. Depending on your housing arrangement, you can also open a new utilities account with SP first, and terminate your existing utilities account when you no longer need it.

Regardless of whether you are using an Open Electricity Market (OEM) provider or buying electricity with SP, you will need to open a SP Utilities Account still. This is because water and gas are still provided and charged under SP Utilities.

You can open an account online, either via desktop/laptop or through the SP Utilities App. For this article, we will provide a walkthrough of the experience if you are opening via desktop/laptop.

Step 1: Go to SP Utilities website. Open an account

The first step is obviously to go to the SP utilities website. Here’s the link.

Do note you have to be at least 18 years of age and you need to provide documents such as property tax or proof of ownership of the property. You will also need a copy of your NRIC or be required to login via Singpass to open an account.

Step 2: Provide home address details

After providing the address for your new home, it will automatically indicate as well whether your home address is covered under City Gas. For example, for my new place, it automatically tells me that City Gas is not available at my premises, which means I will need to seek alternative solutions for cooking – such as using an induction stove or getting Union Gas to provide gas cylinders.

Do note even if you have an Electricity plan with an OEM provider at your existing premise. You should still open your electricity with SP Utilities first.

Step 3: Provide personal details (via Singpass if possible)

You will need to provide personal details. For convenience, opt to retrieve information via Myinfo with Singpass. That was the option we selected. With Myinfo, most of the personal information provided should be filled in already so it’s a lot easier.

Step 4: Choose an appointment date and time to open your SP Utilities account

You will need to choose a date and time to open your utilities account. You may need to be present at the appointment at your premises. You can also opt to receive your bill summary via email instead of paper bill.

Step 5: Submission and appointment

Once done, you are all set. Simply ensure that you turn up on time for your appointment at your new home. If you opt for e-bills, the details of your login will be sent to you via email.

If you want to keep a closer tab on your utilities matters, you can consider downloading the SP Service Utilities App


We would love to help you get the most out of your property.

Should you be thinking of selling, or would simply like an update of where your property sits in today's market, book a non-obligatory discussion with one of our TemasekClass consultants.